State Farm Youth Advisory Board Awards Over $325,000 To Six Youth Led Projects In California
The student led projects address environmental, educational and safety issues.
Core News Facts
- The State Farm Youth Advisory Board awards six California organizations grants that address pressing community issues.
- State Farm pledges $5 million per year to this signature service-learning initiative to address issues important to communities across the United States and Canada.
California, August 29, 2011 -
The State Farm Youth Advisory Board, in partnership with State Farm, announced today that it will award over $325,000 for youth-led, service-learning based projects to six organizations in California.
The grants will be awarded to the following organizations with projects focused on disaster preparedness, teen driver safety, environmental responsibility, and access to higher education:
- A Touch Of Understanding, Inc., Granite Bay, ($78,156.00): The student led project provides character-building disability-awareness program for school children in the Greater Sacramento area with a focus on disaster preparedness.
- Eureka Senior High School, Eureka, ($82,216.06): The student led project focuses on teen driver safety.
- Newman-Crows Landing School District, Newman, ($25,137.95): The student led project focuses on environmental responsibility at their Farmer’s Market.
- Sage Hill School, Newport Coast, ($73,901.00): The project focuses on environmental responsibility at their Organic Educational Center.
- Sharefest Community Development Inc., Los Angeles, ($25,000.00): The project focuses on Murals for Motivation at the Avalon Continuation High School Mural Project. Their goal is access to higher education and closing the achievement gap.
- Youth Together Inc., Oakland, ($41,280.00): The I-AM (Inform, Activate, Motivate) project aims to increase students access to higher education through their College Bound Project.
The State Farm Youth Advisory Board is a diverse group of 30 youth, ages 17-20, who were chosen through a competitive process to lead and oversee this nationwide $5 million per year signature service-learning initiative. The Youth Board identified the issues, issued competitive grants and will now provide technical assistance, communication and oversight to site grantees.
“State Farm has a strong commitment to our youth and to the leadership they provide,” said Tom Conley, State Farm California Senior Vice President. “We’re excited to see the results and the positive impact these grants will have on communities here in California.”
"I think what State Farm is doing with the YAB is revolutionary - allowing a group of young community leaders to make decisions on millions of funding dollars,” said Ernestine Fu, California YAB member. Added Kristy Nguyen, California YAB member, “Every grant recipient we selected this year has demonstrated that they are impacting communities. We are just so excited we can play a part in helping them do so."
Since 2006, the YAB has been awarding grants that focus on disaster preparedness, environmental, driver safety, higher-education/closing the achievement gap and financial education. State Farm supports service-learning because it combines service to the community with classroom curriculum in a hands-on approach to mastering subject material while fostering civic responsibility.
Additionally, applications are now being accepted to become a YAB Board Member. Apply now until October 3 - www.sfyab.com/apply.
Contact a State Farm Public Affairs representative near you for more information or visit http://www.statefarmyab.com/.
About State Farm®
State Farm insures more cars and homes than any other insurer in the U.S., is the leading insurer of watercraft and is also a leading insurer in Canada. State Farm's 17,800 agents and more than 65,000 employees serve 81 million policies and accounts - more than 78 million auto, fire, life and health policies in the United States and Canada, and nearly two million bank accounts. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 37 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit statefarm.com® or in Canada statefarm.ca®.