State Farm Responds to Customers' Needs in Areas Hit by
Christmas Day Tornadoes
As Storms Head East with Wintery Mix - Insurer Offers Winter Driving Survival Plan for Holiday Travelers
Bloomington, Ill. (December 26, 2012) Tornadoes and thunderstorms driving strong straight-line winds whipped through parts of the southern United States Christmas Day damaging homes, cars and businesses, as well as causing three deaths.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with those recovering from the impact of these storms,” said David Beigie, Vice President State Farm Insurance. “Our agents and claims representative are working with our customers in Alabama and Georgia. Beigie added, “We realize the storm system is still active and we are tracking the storm’s progress as it moves up to the Northeast.”
For State Farm customers who sustained a damaged home or vehicle, here are some post-storm guidelines:
Tips for homeowners with damage:
- Begin to make temporary repairs to prevent further damage to your home or property. Keep a record of time spent and all receipts for work done on your property.
- Take pictures of the damaged property. Keep notes and use inventory lists to help adjusters assess the damages.
- Remove tree debris from the structure and place it on the ground.
- If your power is out, unplug any small electrical items to prevent electrical spike damage.
- Secure replacement costs/estimates from local retailers of like kind, quality and features. Obtain statements from vendors on items that cannot be repaired.
- Do not dispose of any damaged contents until authorized by your agent or claim representative.
Tips for motorists with vehicle damage:
- Take steps to prevent further damage.
- If your engine was under water, do not start the vehicle. If your vehicle was flooded, take steps to extract the water and start the drying process
- Have your vehicle title and registration available when meeting with your agent or claim representative.
- If necessary, have the vehicle towed or make temporary repairs, saving all receipts. Provide the name, phone number and location of the towing facility and give the towing facility permission for your insurance representative to move the vehicle to a central facility.
(Media Photo Alert: Mobile (AL) State Farm Agent Ken McElhaney assists customer near midtown Mobile, December 26, 2012.)
Weather forecasters say these southern U.S. storms are now moving East and North and creating a treacherous wintery mix of snow, sleet and ice. Holiday travelers who must travel in the eastern U.S. can learn more about save winter driving by viewing Winter Driving Survival.
About State Farm®
State Farm and its affiliates are the largest provider of car insurance in the U.S. and is a leading insurer in Canada. In addition to providing auto insurance quotes, their 17,800 agents and more than 65,000 employees serve 81 million policies and accounts more than 79 million auto, home, life and health policies in the United States and Canada, and nearly 2 million bank accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is also available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 43 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com or in Canada http://www.statefarm.ca.