What To Do After the Storm?
June 7, 2013 What should Floridians with damage do after Tropical Storm Andrea? As soon as possible, contact your agent or insurance company to report your claim. Follow the below tips for handling damage:
Tips for motorists with vehicle damage:
- Take steps to prevent further damage.
- If your engine was under water, do not start the vehicle. If your vehicle was flooded, take steps to extract the water and start the drying process.
- Have your vehicle title and registration available when meeting with your agent or claim representative.
- If necessary, have the vehicle towed or make temporary repairs, saving all receipts. Provide the name, phone number and location of the towing facility and give the towing facility permission for your insurance representative to move the vehicle to a central facility.
- Since personal safety is State Farms top priority, we urge our policyholders NOT to drive vehicles damaged by floodwater. Vehicles should not be started until they have been thoroughly inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician.
- It is easy to see how floodwater damages a cars upholstery and carpeting, but it is difficult to see where the most severe damage occurs - under the hood or behind the dash. A cars engine, transmission, and electrical components are some of its parts that are most vulnerable to flood water.
Tips for homeowners with damage:
- Begin to make temporary repairs to prevent further damage to your home or property. Keep a record of time spent and all receipts for work done on your property.
- Take pictures of the damaged property. Keep notes and use inventory lists to help adjusters assess the damages.
- Remove tree debris from the structure and place it on the ground.
- If your power is out, unplug any small electrical items to prevent electrical spike damage.
- Secure replacement costs/estimates from local retailers of like kind, quality and features. Obtain statements from vendors on items that cannot be repaired.
- Do not dispose of any damaged contents until authorized by your agent or claim representative.
- Contact only reputable, licensed vendors for repair estimates. Have estimates signed by the vendor and approved by your adjuster or agent before having major damage repaired.
About State Farm®
State Farm and its affiliates are the largest provider of car insurance in the U.S. and is a leading insurer in Canada. In addition to providing auto insurance quotes, their 17,800 agents and more than 65,000 employees serve 81 million policies and accounts - more than 79 million auto, home, life and health policies in the United States and Canada, and nearly 2 million bank accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is also available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 43 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com or in Canada http://www.statefarm.ca.