March's Hail Reminder Spring Storm Season Has Arrived In The Lone Star State
State Farm® Is Ready For 2013 Storm Season Are You?
Austin, TX (March 21, 2013) Spring has arrived, and with it comes severe weather. Already this month State Farm has dispatched catastrophe services teams across Texas and the US to assist local State Farm agents and claims personnel in accessing wind and hail damage.
See how Texas compares to others when it comes to most common insurance claims.
There isn't a community in the nation that is immune to severe weather, but being prepared for spring storms can help you weather the inevitable.
Before severe weather strikes your neighborhood take some time to prepare:
- Organize an evacuation plan and establish an emergency meeting place should your family get separated.
- Make an emergency storm kit including a transistor radio, flashlight, batteries and simple first-aid items in a waterproof container.
- Protect your property with a home inventory. An accurate inventory and proof of ownership at the time of loss can make claim settlement easier and faster.
- Check to make sure your insurance coverage is up-to-date. Schedule time with your agent to discuss your insurance needs.
When severe weather rolls in, monitor the radio for weather updates. If you are instructed to evacuate, go to a shelter as directed by local authorities.
Heading Off Hail Damage
- If weather conditions are prime for hailstorms, pull cars, boats, RVs, lawn and patio furniture into a covered area.
- When building or remodeling, consider impact resistant roofing to reduce hail damage to your home. State Farm currently offers insurance premium discounts for Texas homes with qualifying impact resistant roofing products.
If You Experience Hail Damage
- Work with your insurance agent or claims adjustor to fully understand the claims process and how covered repairs will be handled. State Farm customers who have reported a loss can expect to be contacted by a claim representative who will review your policy and explain your coverage, outline the claim process, and answer questions.
- If anyone visits your home without an appointment and professes to represent your insurer, ask for identification and contact your insurer to confirm before allowing access.
- Look for an established, licensed or bonded roofer and request references. Not all jurisdictions require licensing of roofing contractors.
- Ask to see certificates of insurance to be sure both liability and workers compensation insurance coverage is carried, and are in force during the time the roofing work is being done.
- Insist on a detailed, written estimate clearly stating the quantity of materials needed (labor charges; work specifications) which include approximate starting and completion dates; payment procedures and that any necessary building permits are secured.
- Never sign over your insurance proceeds to the contractor before the work is done and you're satisfied with the quality of the job.
- Carefully review and understand any warranty and watch for conditions that would void it.
- Use caution (ask questions) before accepting a bid substantially lower than other bids covering the same repair work.
- Contact your local Better Business Bureau to check for complaints filed against the contractor.
- You may also contact your National Roofing Contractors Association for assistance in locating a professional contractor in a specific geographic area at 1-800-USA-ROOF or 1-800-872-7663 or go to www.nrca.net.
If you experience property damage during severe weather, contact your State Farm agent or 1-(800)-SF CLAIM.
About State Farm®
State Farm and its affiliates are the largest provider of car insurance in the U.S. and is a leading insurer in Canada. In addition to providing auto insurance quotes, their 17,800 agents and more than 65,000 employees serve 81 million policies and accounts - more than 79 million auto, home, life and health policies in the United States and Canada, and nearly 2 million bank accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is also available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 43 on the Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com or in Canada http://www.statefarm.ca.