Collecting. Analyzing. Sharing.
To help Company leaders make sound, unbiased business decisions, the Research Department provides information collected using experimental design, statistical analysis, data reduction, sampling techniques, surveys, and focus groups.
Emphasis is placed on collected new data to complement and support existing data, which are shared with internal and external audiences. The department also:
- Monitors domestic and international competition
- Supports loss mitigation activities
- Provides advice and consultation on proper research methodologies and techniques to departments Companywide
- Assists Agency and Human Resources in developing better ways for agent and employee selection
- Examines non-insurance issues such as customer satisfaction and employment test development
Claim Technical Center
To improve pricing, underwriting, and loss mitigation results, the Research Department conducts auto and fire research at the Company’s Claim Technical Center. The center includes a two-story house and research lab for conducting various safety and damage-resistance tests on vehicles and building materials. Auto research focuses on auto damage ability, reparability, and highway and vehicle issues. Building research focuses on construction methods and materials.
State Farm Research and Development Center
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Our on-campus facility offers real-world educational opportunities for the students and faculty who work there. State Farm has access to efficient, immediate, and diverse research resources with the opportunity to foster innovative research in a campus atmosphere. In addition, Actuarial, Strategic Resources, and IT/Systems associates are able to collaborate with U of I faculty on a variety of State Farm research initiatives.