- Insurance: Auto, Home, Life & More
- Tools & Advice
- Common Insurance Questions
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Learning Center
- Home Inventory Checklist
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Identity Protection
- Quick Links
- Get Insurance Quotes
- Find an Agent
- Manage Your Policy
- Make a Payment
- Payment Options
- Claims Center
- Repair Facility Locator
- Welcome Center
- Mutual Funds: Save, Invest
- Start Planning
- General Investing
- Education Savings
- Retirement Accounts
- Small Business Plans
- Rollovers & Transfers
- Fund Information
- Life Path® Funds
- Stock & Index Funds
- Bond & Money Market Funds
- Fund Performance
- Fund Prices
- Fund Selection Tool
- Quick Links
- Open an Account
- Manage Your Account
- Investing Resources
- Account Help
- Find an Agent
- Contact Us
- State Farm BankÆ
Full Service Financial
- Tools & Resources
- Online Banking
- Mobile Banking
- Banking By Phone
- Financial Calculators
- News & Updates
- Security Information & Alerts
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I use the app?
Record a few trips to find your current average score. Record a few more trips and try to improve that score. The higher the number the better your driving. Compare your scores with parents, friends or your own previous drives to see how high you can score. Set your own goals, you may be surprised how much you can improve.
Who sees my driving scores?
State Farm does not collect the trip information. The data recorded by this app will not impact your insurance rates.
What does the app measure?
- The app will score each drive based on a combination of factors such as your driving behaviors, traffic congestion and types of roads you drive on.
- You are given an overall score and individual scores for three key driving behaviors we call the ABC’s of driving:
A - Acceleration
B - Braking
C - Cornering
- The app will display any ABC "alerts" color coded yellow (light), orange (moderate) and red (severe).
- The Home Screen tabs through the average score of your last 5 trips, last 25 trips and lifetime average.
How do I improve my score?
- Try Accelerating, Braking, and Cornering slower and smoother depending on which score is the lowest.
- Try to reduce red (severe), orange (moderate), and yellow (light) alerts from future drives.
- Consider alternate routes that may have less traffic, stops and turns.
- Ask an experienced driver for some driving tips.
Are there other benefits to improving my score?
How about saving money? As your scoring improves you will probably see your gas mileage increase and extend the life span of your brakes and tires.
Who can use the app?
Anyone! You do not have to be insured with State Farm to use this app. The app was built with teens in mind but we believe that drivers of any age can try to improve their driving behaviors.
What if I get a phone call or text while I am recording a trip?
To avoid crashes, drivers need to stay focused on the road, not on their phones. We've designed our app with that in mind. There is no need to interact with the application during your drive. In fact, if you answer a phone call or a text message while driving, this will show as an interruption and stop the scoring. On the other hand, if you do NOT answer an incoming call or text message, your drive will not be interrupted and your score will reflect your entire trip.
Why is part of the map gray and what is an interruption?
Interruptions are shown in gray on the map. What's causing this?
- It can be an orientation change i.e. your phone falls on the floor or you pick up the phone to see who is calling or look at a text. At that time the accelerometer cannot give accurate data so we stop recording your trip and set the score to 50.
- Our app gets backgrounded by another application i.e. you answer a phone call with your blue tooth or you open another application. We cannot collect your accelerometer data during this time so this part of your trip is not scored.
Do interruptions affect my score?
Interruptions do not count against your score. However they can cause variation in scores for similar trips since the interruption time is not included.
Why do I have to lay this flat or use my cupholder?
We are using the accelerometer to collect driving data on your acceleration, braking and cornering. We have to calibrate this technology to give you an accurate score. Normally you can place your phone in your dash mount with a slight change in the angle of the mount or you can use your cupholder or lay it flat in a secure location.
Am I a safe driver?
There are many factors that make up safe driving. This app is designed to help you improve on the basic ABC’s of driving skills. Always use your best judgment when driving to avoid crashes and be safe.
Why did State Farm create this app?
State Farm believes that if we can provide detailed information about your driving behaviors, drivers can use that information to try to improve those behaviors. If all of us improve our driving behaviors, our roads will be safer for everyone. Driving safer and saving fuel can make our future a little brighter.