Determining ownership and the value of stolen property is difficult after a loss, simply because there is nothing to view. State Farm™ is dedicated to helping you recover your losses quickly and efficiently.
Preparing a home inventory is one of the best ways to stay prepared. You can also download our free Home Inventory Checklist [PDF-602.7KB].
Helpful for Fact Verification
- Photographs of inventory, or of a family member with the item in the background
- Receipts, purchase orders, invoices
- Canceled checks, credit card slips, charge account records
- Registration documentation (guns, boats, etc.)
- Customs declarations, bills of lading, shipping receipts, tariff receipts
- Warranties and guarantees, and instruction manuals
- Tax records
- Chattel mortgages
- People who can testify to the existence of stolen property
Most insurance policies provide coverage for personal property on an actual cash value basis (replacement cost less depreciation). Some policies or endorsements provide coverage on a replacement cost basis -- depreciation is not considered.