Online Dating Scams
Today, many people meet friends and love interests online. Unfortunately, an increasing number of criminals are using online dating scams to prey on and defraud others.
- Have you met someone online who is asking for your financial assistance?
- Have you been asked by someone to set up an online bank account with State Farm Bank®?
- Have you been asked to accept monetary transfers into your account?
- Have you been asked to transfer monies from your account via wire, ACH, PayPal or other means?
- Have you divulged your user name, password and/or other credentials to someone else?
If you can answer "yes" to one or more of these questions, it's possible that you've become involved in a scam that could result in not only losing your money, but also involve you in money laundering and/or being set up for other scams. It's very important that you contact State Farm Bank Security immediately at 877-734-2265.
Online fraudsters often invest months of their time using false personas and social engineering techniques to build rapport and relationships under false pretenses before taking advantage of their marks. They will misrepresent their names, age, gender, marital status, geographical location, occupation, religion, circumstances and many other things to make it seem as if they have similar interests with, or romantic interests in, their intended targets.
Social engineering is a powerful tool because fraudsters use basic tendencies found in human nature such as love, friendship, trust, a desire to help others and most people's aversion to awkward situations to manipulate people into taking specific actions. These scam artists build relationships under false pretense and then take advantage of their targets' affections, caring nature, dissatisfaction in relationships or jobs, or other means to defraud them.
Best Practices and Additional Resources:
- Never give your account credentials to anyone else, whether online, by phone or in person.
- For additional information, please visit the Federal Trade Commission or romancescams.org.
- Contact State Farm Bank Security with questions or concerns: 877-734-2265.