Protecting Your Identity
In today's information age, criminals have developed very sophisticated methods of obtaining personal information about people.
Safeguard Your Identity
There are several ways to safeguard yourself against identity fraud. An important way is to request your credit report once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies. The Fair Credit Reporting Act guarantees everyone access to their credit report from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies every 12 months on a complimentary basis. Visit annualcreditreport.com to check your eligibility and access your credit report.
Here Are Some Additional Steps You Can Take:
Credit card/Check-card/ATM Card
- Keep your card with you at all times.
- Sign all new cards immediately.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Never leave your card as a security deposit. Use your driver's license or other ID if necessary.
- Do not loan your card or account number to another person not listed on the account.
- Never carry your Personal Identification Number (PIN) with you or write it on the back of your card.
- Monitor your mail closely if you are expecting a new or replacement card.
- Photocopy the contents of your wallet and keep the information in a safe place.
- Invest in a shredder. Shred old receipts, monthly statements, and other sensitive documents.
- Do not allow a merchant to record your account number when paying by check.
- Take receipts with your account number listed, for example, from restaurants, grocery stores, etc.
- Do not use an obvious number, such as your date of birth or phone number for your PIN.
- Always notify your bank and other credit issuers with change of address or phone number and have a fraud alert placed on your name and Social Security Number.
If you believe you are the victim of identity theft, we recommend you contact us toll-free at 877-SF4-BANK (877-734-2265). Callers who are hearing or speech impaired should dial 711 or use a preferred Telecommunications Relay Service.
You should also contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the three major credit bureaus immediately.
Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20580
Tel: 877-IDTHEFT (877-438-4338)
Fraud Victim Assistance Division
P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834
P.O. Box 949
Allen, TX 75013-0949
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
The Identity Theft Assistance Center (ITAC)® is a cooperative initiative of the financial services industry that provides a free victim assistance service for customers of member companies. ITAC walks the identity theft victim through his or her credit report to find suspicious activity, notifies the affected creditors, and places fraud alerts with the credit bureaus. ITAC also shares information with law enforcement and the Federal Trade Commission. ITAC is part of an ongoing effort by the financial services industry to address and reduce the human and economic consequences of fraud and identity theft.
If an account is opened or used in your name without your permission, use this form to notify the company/institution the account is held with. This form will help you provide proof that you did not create or authorize the activity and will help ensure that you are not held financially responsible.
If you have any questions, please call us toll-free at 877-SF4-BANK (877-734-2265). Callers who are hearing or speech impaired should dial 711 or use a preferred Telecommunications Relay Service.
State Farm (including State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates) is not responsible for, and does not endorse or approve, either implicitly or explicitly, the content of any third party sites hyperlinked from this page. State Farm has no discretion to alter, update, or control the content on the hyperlinked, third party site. Access to third party sites is at the user's own risk, is being provided for informational purposes only and is not a solicitation to buy or sell any of the products which may be referenced on such third party sites.
State Farm Bank®, Bloomington, Illinois, is a Member FDIC and Equal Housing Lender. NMLS ID 139716. The other products offered by affiliate companies of State Farm Bank are not FDIC insured, not a State Farm Bank obligation or guaranteed by State Farm Bank, and subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal invested. Contact State Farm Bank toll-free at 877-SF4-BANK (877-734-2265). Callers who are hearing or speech impaired should dial 711 or use a preferred Telecommunications Relay Service.