Disability Income Insurance — Virginia
Virginia Disability Income Insurance is currently available through State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company. Details about coverage, policies, and benefits are listed below. Please read a brief description of the State Farm® Disability Income Insurance in Virginia.
Find an Agent
This policy is designed to help protect those who need help covering day–to–day living expenses if they are disabled due to sickness or injury, under the care of a physician, and unable to work.
You have the option of choosing a combination of coverages that best meet your needs. Your selection of the options below helps determine the cost of your policy.
- The monthly benefit amount
- The benefit period — the length of time benefits are paid to you
- The elimination period — the length of time you must be disabled before benefits begin
This is a summary of what benefits may be available to you. For a more detailed understanding, meet with your State Farm agent.
Monthly Benefit Amount
This is the monthly income that you would receive if you became totally disabled as defined in the policy.
If your sickness or injury prevents you from returning to work on a full-time basis after receiving benefits for a period of total disability, State Farm will continue to pay part of your monthly benefit amount for up to six months.
Waiver of Premium
When you meet certain requirements, your premium for this policy is waived (paid by the Company). Ask your agent for more details.
If you participate in an approved vocational rehabilitation program while you are totally disabled, State Farm pays for part, if not all, of those expenses. The level of support you receive depends on your monthly benefit amount.
Additional Purchase Option
Over time, coverage needs change. If you find you need more Disability Income coverage, this option allows you to purchase more on your fifth policy anniversary with an abbreviated application process. You'll need to meet certain requirements, so ask your agent for more details.
To help tailor this product to your specific needs, ask your State Farm agent for details on the following optional benefits:
- Regular Occupation Extension Rider
- Residual Disability Benefit Rider
- Social Insurance Supplement Rider
- Cost of Living Adjustment Rider
*These riders are available at additional cost.
Exclusions and Limitations
This policy does not cover any loss caused or contributed by:
- Normal pregnancy and childbirth; however, complications of pregnancy are covered as a sickness.
- Any attempt at suicide, whether sane or insane, or any intentionally self-inflicted injury.
- War, declared or undeclared, or any act or hazard of war.
- Injury sustained or sickness contracted while you are in the armed services of any country.
- Your participation in the commission of an assault or felony, riot or incarceration.
- Injury or sickness which results from the use of marijuana, narcotic drugs, hallucinogens, barbiturates, amphetamines, or tranquilizers which were not prescribed for you by a physician.
- Mental or Nervous Disorder limitation. The total amount payable under this policy for any period of disability caused or contributed to by a mental or nervous disorder shall not exceed a cumulative lifetime maximum of twenty-four (24) months. If you are a resident patient in a hospital when this lifetime maximum is reached, this limitation does not apply while you remain continuously confined provided that the confinement is medically necessary to the treatment of your mental disorder. This limitation will not extend the maximum benefit period shown on the policy schedule.
- Pre–existing Condition Limitation. No claim for loss incurred or disability starting after twelve (12) months from the effective date of coverage will be reduced or denied because a sickness or physical condition not excluded by name or specific description effective on the date of loss had existed before the effective date of coverage. When benefit limits are increased after the policy date, the twelve (12) month period for the additional coverage begins on the date the increased benefits become effective.
- Benefits payable under this policy may be reduced because of other valid loss of time coverage.
This is a marketing tool intended for use in the sale of insurance. Completion of an application for a State Farm insurance policy will require contact with a State Farm agent.
This information provides only a brief explanation of coverage currently available in VA. There are terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. Modifications apply in some states. See policy series 97053VA or 97054VA for exact terms and conditions. Policy series 97053VA premiums are step-rates based on the age of the insured at the time of renewal. Policy series 97054VA premiums are level-rated. Policy is guaranteed renewable to age 67. For additional details on coverage and cost, contact a State Farm agent.
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company