Live the Retirement Life You Deserve

Retirees Directory

The retirees directory can help you stay informed. Find contact information, hours, and more for resources and services specifically for retirees.


Agency Sales Resource


When to call us

  • To change your address 
  • To ask any questions about your Term Pay

State Farm™ Benefits Center

866-935-4015 (Mon–Fri 7AM–6PM CT) or

When to call or visit the website

To report a death To change your address

Group Medical Coverage

  • Questions about the annual enrollment process or coverage options
  • To determine eligibility for medical or drug coverage as a special or late enrollee
  • To add or delete a dependent from coverage

Group Life Insurance

  • Check amount of coverage
  • Change your group life beneficiary

401(k) Savings Plan

  • Change your 401(k) Savings Plan Federal or State Tax withholdings
  • Change your 401(k) Savings Plan beneficiary
  • Request a 401(k) distribution
  • Change your 401(k) monthly, quarterly distribution amounts


  • Change your Federal or State Tax withholdings
  • Change your direct deposit information
  • Name or change your pre-retirement beneficiary designation
  • Request retirement estimates
  • Initiate retirement

COBRA (Active Participants)

866-935-4015 State Farm Benefits Center

When to call us

  • To ask about length of coverage
  • To verify contribution amounts

State Farm Federal Credit Union

888-521-5209 or State Farm Federal Credit Union

Good Neighbor Grants, Matching Gifts, and Scholarships

866-604-5480 for Good Neighbor Grant and 877-369-0872 for the Matching Gift Program. For more information on Grants & Scholarships

When to call us

  • To ask about scholarships, Good Neighbor grants, and Matching Gifts

Group Medical Customer Service

888-652-4013 (Mon–Fri, 7AM–7PM CST) or

When to call us

  • To ask claim questions
  • To request copies of EOBs
  • To find PPO Provider
  • To request Group Medical ID card

Long-Term Care (LTC)

800-858-4933 John Hancock

When to call us

  • To ask questions regarding Long-Term Care, whether you are covered at retirement, or want to become covered later (family members may also inquire about coverage)

Mutual Funds


When to call us

  • To change the mix of investments
  • To withdraw funds
  • To ask about earnings

Prescription Drugs or

When to email us

Register with

  • To refill mail order prescriptions
  • To check order status
  • To view prescription history
  • To use the online Savings Center
  • To check on your medication costs
  • To find a local pharmacy
  • To locate the Preferred Drug List
  • To print forms or your ID card

Or call the toll-free number (800-388-2058):

  • To ask questions about prescription drug change and co-payments
  • To obtain a copy of the Primary Drug List
  • To request a Caremark prescription drug card
  • To request a Mail Service order form
  • To request a Prescription Drug Claim form


When to call or email us

  • To place your online order for your annual State Farm Select-A-Gift, typically from September 1 to December 31 in a given year.
  • To report non-receipt of gifts or damaged gifts, call the toll-free number.
  • Please email us at or call Award Headquarters at 877-467-0388

Social Security

800-772-1213 or

When to call us

  • To ask any Social Security or Medicare questions

U.S. Discount Program / Good Neighbor Perks

  • 877-272-1999 Human Resources Services Center (HRSC)

  • Good Neighbor Perks for Retirees - is an external vendor that offers national discounts on products, services and travel

    The alumni program is at:

    The company code is sfalumni

When to call us

  • To find out what discounts are available on various products and services in your area


  • If you encounter problems, you should work directly with the merchant to resolve any product or service problems.

  • For State Discounts - Contact the applicable State HR Department if published information is incorrect (such as invalid phone numbers, broken hyperlinks, etc.).

  • For National Discounts - Contact the Human Resources Services Center at 877-272-1999 if published information is incorrect (such as invalid phone numbers, broken hyperlinks, etc.).