Easy Home DIY Ways to Transform Teen Bedrooms
A great way for your teen to express their personality, individuality, and independence is to redecorate their bedroom. We don't need to remind you that your kids grow up quickly, and that their personal style evolves just as rapidly. Here's the good news: you don't have to spend a lot of money to update your teen's bedroom. In fact you can create an entirely new look by adding color, patterns, and organization as this recent The Budget Decorator and Freshome articles perfectly demonstrates. Here are 21 cool bedroom makeovers designed by Teens.
Here are some decorating tips for transforming your teen's bedroom, while keeping the furniture the same.
- Paint! The paint color change is what sets the makeover in motion. A fresh coat of paint in a vibrant color is a fabulous way to breathe new life into a room. Adding patterns or paint techniques adds more choices. Stencils are a good choice to add even more color or designs. Online sites such as Homedit and Houzz offer an abundance of ideas.
- Add Art. There are oodles of sources for affordable art - Artfully Walls, Minted, and Etsy all have a great selection of youthful, but still sophisticated art. Decorist designer Lauren sourced glam metallic lip and heart prints on One King's Lane.
- Change Up The Bedding. White bedding is a great investment as it can 'grow up' with your child. It sets a crisp, clean tone and provides a neutral backdrop upon which to layer throw pillows. Serena & Lily « has a great selection of white bedding with simple detailing like a bordered duvet.
- Mix Up Your Throw Pillows. How much better does a white settee look with adorable graphic pillows? And a bed with the combination of turquoise and white pillows? The look is still cohesive — even though the pillows are different — as the overall color palette is consistent. Take a look at some popular decorative pillows at Houzz.
- Add A Mirror. Mirrors are both functional and decorative... don't underestimate the role they can play in adding dimension to a room. A lavender inlay mirror picks up on the purple in the rug, and adds a touch of pattern.
- Adding Organization. Clutter can be contained and items removed from the floor by adding organization. HGTV provides ideas for utilizing the closet differently, using desks, shelving, containers, and even note boards.
And after you're done, update your home inventory to reflect the changes in the room in case you ever need to file a claim.