The combination of slippery pumpkins and sharp knives can be dangerous. Follow these tips to help keep everyone safe when carving your Halloween pumpkin this year.
Set an age limit
Consumer Reports recommends that children younger than 14 years old should not do the actual pumpkin carving. But younger kids can still get in on the fun:
- Have them draw the patterns for their pumpkins.
- Allow them to decorate their pumpkins with markers, paint or non-carving decoration kits.
- Let them clean out the seeds and pulp from inside the pumpkins.
If you decide to let your teens carve pumpkins, closely supervise in case anything goes wrong.
Use the right tools
Big kitchen knives aren't the best fit for this job. According to Consumer Reports, a pumpkin carving kit is a safer option. The tools in these kits are:
- Designed to easily pierce pumpkins
- Not as sharp as average kitchen knives
- Smaller and easier to control
Follow proper technique
Avoid finger and hand injuries:
- Work slowly and steadily—don't rush the project.
- Cut away from your body with the carving tool.
- Use small, controlled motions when carving.
- Keep your free hand out of the way to avoid mishaps.
Set up for safety
Before you start carving, prepare your pumpkin carving area and tools:
- Make sure the carving area is dry, well lit and on a stable surface.
- Wash and dry all of your tools before carving.
- Keep your hands clean and dry to avoid slipping.
Safe pumpkin carving is just one key to a happy Halloween. Get more safety tips for a worry-free holiday from State Farm®.
The information in this article was obtained from various sources not associated with State Farm. While we believe it to be reliable and accurate, we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of the information. These suggestions are not a complete list of every loss control measure. The information is not intended to replace manuals or instructions provided by the manufacturer or the advice of a qualified professional. Nor is it intended to effect coverage under our policy. State Farm makes no guarantees of results from use of this information.