What is Joint Universal Life insurance?
Joint Universal Life, also known as Joint Life insurance, provides a lifetime of protection  while building tax-deferred cash value. The policy offers coverage for two individuals, often at a lower cost than two separate permanent policies, and an income-tax free death benefit is paid to beneficiaries upon the death of the first insured.
Who is it for?
Joint Universal Life is available to eligible individuals ages 18 to 85. It can be a good option for:
- Couples: Joint Universal Life can help assure you that loved ones could be provided for after your or your partner's death. While researching policy types, another question to answer is “how much life insurance do you need”?
- Business partners: You and your co-owner can purchase a Joint Universal Life policy, and the surviving partner can use the death benefit to help cover business expenses.
Why choose Joint Universal Life insurance?
Besides the convenience of insuring two individuals under one policy, Joint Universal Life offers additional benefits:
- Flexible: Joint Universal Life allows you to increase or decrease the amount of your premium payment.
- Growth: Your policy builds a tax-deferred cash value over time.
- Accessible: You can access this cash value  via policy loans or withdrawals to pay for your child's education, make major home improvements, grow your business and more.
- Accommodating: A survivor purchase option allows you to purchase a new permanent policy after the death of the first insured without evidence of insurability — so long as it's been fewer than 90 days since his or her passing and you're younger than 75.
- Affordable: Because Joint Universal Life pays a death benefit on the first insured, it's typically more affordable than purchasing two separate permanent policies.
- Customizable: Talk to your State Farm® agent about optional riders that can add benefits to your policy.
Still on the fence about coverage? Learn more about if life insurance is worth it.
If you’re interested in a quote on this type of life product, please contact a State Farm Agent.