Hiring out isn't always necessary for small repairs around the house. You can complete each of these three home repairs in a few hours for a fraction of the cost.
Fix a leaking toilet
Leaking toilets can waste large amounts of water. To troubleshoot the issue:
- Inspect the float and inlet valve: As you flush, lift the float arm until the water stops.
- Tighten the screw at the top of the ballcock so that the level of the float does not rise above the inlet valve.
- If the water does not stop during step 1, you may need to replace the ballcock assembly.
Replace tile grout
Grimy tile grout can detract from a home's appearance. To replace it:
- Remove existing grout with a grout rake or electric tool.
- Scrub the area with a stiff-bristle nylon brush to remove loose debris.
- Use a grout float to smear new grout across the surface and into the joints.
- After 20 minutes, clean the area with a grout sponge. Once the grout has cured, apply sealer.
To quickly fix a hole in the wall:
- Remove loose drywall behind and around the hole. Sand the edges of the hole.
- Adhere a wall-hole patch over the hole.
- Apply drywall-patching compound to the patch and surrounding wall.
- Sand the area once it's dry.
- Spray the area with wall texture spray (if needed) and add a fresh coat of matching paint.
When to hire a pro
Help avoid injury or property damage by calling an expert for the following home repairs:
- Electrical repairs
- Lead paint removal
- Plumbing repairs
- Major structural repairs
- Roofing repairs
But before you hire out, make sure you can spot a home repair scam.
The information in this article was obtained from various sources not associated with State Farm. While we believe it to be reliable and accurate, we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of the information. These suggestions are not a complete list of every loss control measure. The information is not intended to replace manuals or instructions provided by the manufacturer or the advice of a qualified professional. Nor is it intended to effect coverage under our policy. State Farm makes no guarantees of results from use of this information.