Protect your vehicle from gas theft
These steps could help to prevent thieves from siphoning out your vehicle's gas.
Thieves have found a new target: the gasoline from your vehicle. As the price of gas rises, so do the number of gas-theft incidents. Here's how you can help protect your vehicle and your pocketbook:
- Always park in well-lit, well-traveled locations.
- Park in your garage or driveway whenever possible. If you have to park in the street, do so under street lighting near your house.
- Avoid parking in public places for extended periods of time. For example, rather than leaving your car in the airport parking lot for a week, ask a friend or neighbor for a ride.
- Position your vehicle so the fuel door is seen from a main road.
- Consider installing a locking gas cap, even if your fuel door locks.
- Remember to call 911 if you see suspicious behavior, such as someone putting a siphon into a gas tank or acting strangely around parked cars.