Ideas to plan a successful in store event
Looking for ways to boost sales to your business? Consider hosting an event.
Hosting a special event at your small business can be a great way to boost sales and attract new customers to your store. Try these tips to jump-start your planning.
Think outside your store
Pick a day or weekend and partner with other local businesses or the neighborhood association to turn it into a destination event. Consider extending hours and organizing draws such as strolling musicians, stamp cards for kids or sweepstakes.
Build buzz around your event
Spread the word beforehand both on social media and in real life:
- Share what is unique about your business and the items you sell or services you provide.
- Take pictures of popular items or displays in your store and post them on social media.
- Be sure to include when your event is being held, where, and what sales or promotions are going on during the event.
- You can add stories on Instagram to create awareness and to build your clientele.
- Hang posters in your window and hand out save-the-date cards.
Make it memorable
Brainstorm unique ideas that fit the vibe of your shop. Here are a few possible ideas to get you started:
- Throw a kickoff event with appetizers, freebies and a local author, celeb or politician visit.
- Stage a selfie wall with props.
- Slip thank-you postcards and treats into shopping bags.
Plenty of people shop local to make a difference in the community. Up the ante by donating a portion of all sales to a local charity. If you don't have a specific charity in mind, find one through Neighborhood of Good®.
Update your website
Publicize any store events and deals, whether at the shop or online only, such as free shipping for a day. Give your website a once-over, too — check that hours and location are current, review and freshen descriptions and make sure it's mobile-friendly.
Encourage returning customers by handing out fliers listing any other promotions you have going on or discount cards to be used at a later date. Keep an email sign-up sheet at checkout for those who want updates about future sales and events, too. Be sure to thank everyone who attended your event by posting a message on Facebook, Instagram or by sending them an email.