A home & property claim shouldn’t make you want to run away

If you made a list of things you wanted to do today, “file a home & property claim” wouldn’t be on it. So we designed our claim process to be fast and easy.

The home & property claim process

Finding property damage can be stressful. But you’ve got this. And we’re here to help.

  • Document the damage with photos, notes, and anything else that might be helpful.
  • Take steps to mitigate further damage.

File your Claim

What you do

File your claim with our mobile app or on our website. You can also call us at 800-SF-Claim (800-732-5246) to file.

What we do

We’ll let you know we received your claim, and who to speak with if you have questions.


What we do

We’ll assign your home & property claim to a claim handler (or team) to manage it, and guide you through the process.


What you do

Try to be available to answer questions and provide your handler with additional details about your claim.

What we do

Your claim handler will determine if your claim is covered, and the cost of any covered damages. If you’re due a settlement, your claim handler will work to get you your money, less your deductible, as quickly as possible.


What you do

If you’re the payee, you may be able to specify if you’d like to receive payment by check or direct deposit.

And if you haven’t already, you’ll probably need to find contractors to complete repairs, sign repair contracts, and submit invoices, if applicable.

What we do

If you’re entitled to a settlement, State Farm® will issue it to you, or a service provider, according to your claim and policy details.

Questions? No problem.

Log in to message your claim handler(s) online or through our
mobile app. Or call us at 800-SF-CLAIM (800-732-5246).

What is and isn’t typically covered under a home & property claim

No two claims are exactly alike. Here’s a list of some of the things that are and are not typically covered by home & property insurance. Check your policy or ask your agent to find out what your policy covers.

  • Typically covered: wind (includes damage to the roof caused by a downed tree), hail, fire and lightning.
  • Not typically covered: wear and tear, rot, deterioration, and workmanship (improper installation/repairs).

  • Typically covered: losses caused by water abruptly leaking from a pipe inside the home, frozen/burst pipe if reasonable care is used to maintain heat in the home, water backing-up through a sewer or drain (with Back-up of Sewer or Drain endorsement) and water damage to your home caused by ice dams.
  • Not typically covered: losses caused by flood, subsurface water, surface water, water backing-up through a sewer or drain (without endorsement), tidal water, tsunami, overflow of a body of water, spray from any of these whether driven by wind or not, frozen and burst pipes if reasonable care to maintain the heat did not occur.

  • Typically covered: items lost by theft such as jewelry, electronics, silverware, goldware and rugs.
  • Not typically covered: animals, birds and fish.

Things to think about

It’s up to you to decide when to file a claim. But remember, you have insurance to help with the repair or replacement when covered losses occur.

Policy benefits may include:

  • Payment for covered roof damage
  • Coverage for temporary living accommodations when a covered loss causes your home to be uninhabitable
  • Payment for personal property that’s damaged or stolen by a covered loss
  • Liability coverage for covered claims if someone is hurt while visiting your home

Have questions? Talk it over with your State Farm agent.

Here are some of the signs of wind or hail damage:

  • Shingles in your yard, as well as raised or missing shingles
  • Excessive shingle granules in your downspouts and gutters
  • Water stains on your highest ceiling

A State Farm representative can explain the difference between normal wear and damage.

File your claim as soon as possible after you find damage.

When it comes to stolen property, you need to act fast.

  • Report the theft to the police
  • Review your policy, including coverages, limitations, and deductibles related to personal property
  • File a claim with State Farm

Your property could be covered when you’re on vacation, in your car, or just away from your home.

File your claim as soon as possible after you realize someone stole your property.

Filing a stolen property claim is fast and easy.

Water damage isn’t always easy to spot, but here are some signs you might have a problem:

  • Dark or wet-looking spots on your ceiling or walls.
  • Cracking, bubbling, or flaking paint or drywall.
  • A puddle of water that returns after you’ve cleaned it up.
  • The sound of running or dripping water behind your wall.
  • A damp, musty, or moldy smell.

Visit Roof Claims to learn how to select a roofing contractor, what’s typically included in a roof repair estimate, and more.

Understand Your Property’s Valuation

Depending on your policy, coverage for personal property can be on an actual cash value or replacement cost basis.

Actual cash value is the value of the damaged part of the property at the time of loss. It is defined as replacement cost less depreciation.
Replacement Cost means the cost to repair or replace property with a comparable item.

Review your policy or speak with your agent if you aren’t sure how we’re covering your personal property.

Frequently asked questions

Unless it’s excluded in your policy, a homeowners policy typically covers accidental direct physical loss, meaning happening by chance, to your dwelling, other structures, personal liability and medical payments to others.

Homeowners policies also provide personal property coverage for specific incidents, including but not limited to:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Windstorm or hail (when wind or hail causes an opening in a roof or wall and allows rain, snow, sleet, sand, or dust to enter)
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Certain types of abrupt water damage

You can choose to receive your payment via electronic fund transfer, direct deposit or paper check.

Your premium won’t necessarily go up after you file a home & property claim, but it might. It’ll depend on several factors, including the claim details, how much your property will cost to repair or replace, and how many claims you’ve filed in the past. Speak with your agent to determine if your premium is likely to go up because of your claim.

You’ll be responsible for your deductible amount for covered damages up to the limit of your policy. Your Insurance policy won’t cover any expenses beyond your coverage limits, however.

It depends on the type of claim and your liability coverage and will need to be determined during the investigation stage of your claim.

You can choose any contractor you like, but if you need help finding a contractor, give our Contractor Locator a try.

If coverage does not apply for a particular claim, we’ll send you a written letter explaining the specific policy language responsible for the denial of your claim.

Visit Simple Insights® to learn more about home inventories, including how to create one.

Yes. In addition to your dwelling, State Farm homeowners insurance covers other structures located on your residence premises that are separated by clear space from the dwelling. Your policy typically covers other structures at 10% of your dwelling coverage.

This includes, but isn’t limited to:

  • Fences
  • Detached garages
  • Equipment sheds
  • Barns
  • Guest cottages
  • Contact your agent about insuring other structures on your property.

State Farm Mobile App

Download our award-winning mobile app for free.

Available for iOS and Android.

Apple App Store button for State Farm mobile appGoogle Play button for State Farm mobile app

Note: This contains only a general description of available coverages and is not a statement of contract. All coverages are subject to all policy provisions and applicable endorsements. For further information, see your State Farm agent.