Skip to Main Content

Start Of Main Content

Pet Insurance From State Farm® and Trupanion®

Ask any pet owner and they’ll tell you – they consider their dog or cat to be a member of the family. Our pets bring joy into our lives, and their unconditional love sustains us.

Get a
Pet Insurance Quote

Select a state
 

Is Pet Insurance Worth it?

When our pets need medical attention, the last thing we should worry about is cost. Unfortunately, many pet owners find themselves facing tough decisions about their dog or cat’s care.

We’re here to help. State Farm works with Trupanion – a leader in high-quality pet medical insurance – to make it easier for pet owners to care for their furry family members.

Get to Know the
Trupanion Policy

  • One simple plan – All pets get the best coverage with a single, high-quality, and no-nonsense coverage plan.
  • Direct payment to your veterinarian – In many cases, Trupanion can pay your veterinarian directly – just pay your portion at the time of service.
  • No payout limits – While insured, your pet receives unlimited, lifetime insurance without caps.
  • 90% Coverage – Once you’ve met your deductible, you’re responsible for 10% of the covered veterinary costs and any costs not eligible for coverage. The Trupanion policy pays the remaining 90%.4

Provided by:

How Does Pet Insurance Work?

With pet medical insurance through a Trupanion policy, you will pay a customizable, monthly premium. When your pet is unexpectedly sick or injured, the Trupanion policy pays for 90% of eligible medical costs, minus your deductible.1 In many cases, the Trupanion policy can pay your vet directly. Otherwise, just pay your bill at the time of service, easily file a claim online, and Trupanion will reimburse you for covered costs.2

What’s Covered3

Illnesses and injuries and the costs it takes to heal them, including:

  • Diagnostic tests
  • Surgeries
  • Hospital stays
  • Medications and prescriptions
  • Veterinary supplements
  • Herbal therapy
  • Prosthetic devices and carts

Breed-specific conditions4 (hereditary and congenital), including but not limited to:

  • Elbow and hip dysplasia
  • Diabetes
  • Cherry eye
  • Thyroid disease

Disclosures

1 Deductibles: A deductible is the amount you pay for each illness or injury before you’ll receive reimbursement or payment for eligible medical expenses. Trupanion’s deductible is a lifetime-per-incident deductible. This means that, once the deductible is met for a covered injury or illness, all future medical costs associated with that injury or illness will be eligible for coverage as long as the policy is in effect. You have the option to choose a deductible from $0 to $1,000.

2 Preexisting conditions: If you currently have a pet medical insurance policy, switching carriers or purchasing a new policy may affect certain provisions, such as coverages for preexisting conditions or deductibles already established under your current policy. Let your State Farm agent know if your existing policy has provisions that might make it beneficial for you to keep.

3 Waiting Period: Trupanion policies have a 5-day waiting period for injuries and a 30-day waiting period for illnesses. This means that injuries that happen 5 days after enrollment and any illnesses that develop 30 days after enrollment are eligible for coverage (as long as there's no evidence that the illness or injury already existed). Please note that any injuries that occur during the 5-day waiting period or illnesses that begin during the 30-day waiting period are considered pre-existing and not eligible for coverage.

4 Terms and Conditions may vary by state and can be found on Trupanion's website.

Pet insurance products are underwritten in the United States by American Pet Insurance Company, 6100-4th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108 Please visit AmericanPetInsurance.com.

State Farm (including State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates) is not responsible for, and does not endorse or approve, either implicitly or explicitly, the content of any third party sites hyperlinked from this page. State Farm has no discretion to alter, update, or control the content on the hyperlinked, third party site. Access to third party sites is at the user's own risk, is being provided for informational purposes only and is not a solicitation to buy or sell any of the products which may be referenced on such third party sites.