Welcome to the Property Claims Learning Center
State Farm® Home and Property Claims Learning Center is an educational resource for information on how to file a claim.
How to Report a Homeowners Claim
To start the claims process, contact 800-STATE-FARM (800-782-8332), report a claim online, or contact your State Farm agent. Once you've reported your claim, an associate will contact you as soon as possible.
Important First Steps
- Take reasonable steps to prevent potential safety risks and/or further damage.
- If the loss is caused by theft, notify the police.
- Notify banks and credit card companies about any missing debit or credit cards.
- Keep accurate records of what you spend repairing things.
- Separate items that may be cleaned and/or repaired.
- Check with your claim representative before you discard any items you plan to claim as damaged.
- Review your policy for specific coverage information.
If Anyone is Injured
- Report it immediately to your agent.
- Obtain names and addresses of any witnesses.
- Don't make voluntary payments, obligations or expenses outside of emergency first aid.
When Someone Files a Claim Against You
- Report your claim and State Farm will conduct an investigation to assess the allegations.
- State Farm will pay claims you are legally liable for, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
Settling a Claim
- We'll pay to repair or replace your damaged property, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
- If applicable, check with your mortgage company about how they handle claim payment.
- Check with your State Farm agent or claim representative with questions.
This is only a general description of coverages and is not a statement of contract. Details of coverage or limits vary in some states. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions and conditions in the policy itself and in any endorsements.