Skip to Main Content

Start Of Main Content

Condominium Unitowners Coverage Options

State Farm® offers a number of coverage options so you can get insurance that fits your needs.

Get a Condo Quote

Standard Coverage

Building Property

Coverage A

Insures your items of real property, including building additions, alterations and installations which are part of your unit and are your insurance responsibility according to the governing rules of the condominium association.*

*Improvements to your unit as well as fixtures and equipment installed as part of the building may or may not be your insurance responsibility. Association documents should be checked.

Personal Property

Coverage B

Protects personal property in your home like clothes or furniture. It can also help provide protection for your personal property with you while away from home.

Loss of Use

Coverage C

If a fire, explosion, tornado or other insured loss severely damage your unit, you could need a substitute place to stay. Loss of Use covers the necessary increase in cost to maintain living conditions during the period of repair. The amount of coverage may be limited to a dollar value or your actual costs for up to a specified time. Review your limit with your agent.

Loss Assessment

Coverage D

Uniquely designed for owners in condominiums/associations, Loss Assessment coverage recognizes the potential for owners to be assessed for certain kinds of loss.

Here are examples of circumstances that might require the condominium association to assess all unit owners:

  • Someone is seriously injured on common property (like a swimming pool) and the courts award a judgment that's higher than the amount of liability coverage provided by the condominium/association policy.
  • Major damage occurs to commonly owned buildings and it is not fully covered by insurance.

For covered losses, loss assessment coverage would pay your share, up to the limit of coverage you select. You should review the need for this coverage with your agent and buy an appropriate amount of coverage.

Personal Liability

Coverage L

Protects you if others make a claim or bring suit against you for bodily injury or property damage for which you or a covered resident of your household are responsible, either in your home or elsewhere and to which coverage applies.

In addition to settlement costs, this coverage may pay defense costs and court costs -- even if a suit brought against you is groundless.

It is essential that you select liability limits high enough to protect your assets.

If you need more protection than your regular policy limits, consider a personal liability umbrella policy. It adds an extra layer of personal liability protection for exposures you may have from your car policy, your boat policy (if you have one) and your condominium unitowners (homeowners) policy.

Medical Payments to Others

Coverage M

This coverage pays medical expenses up to the limits in the policy for people who are on your premises with your permission and are accidentally injured. The coverage also extends to people accidentally injured by your activities. However, the coverage does not pay for medical expenses for you, your family members or other individuals that regularly reside with you or on your insured location.

Other Types of Coverage

Refrigerated Products

May cover loss to the contents of an on-premises refrigerator or freezer resulting from power or mechanical failure.

Fees & Other Expenses Coverage

Counterfeit Money & Forgery Expenses

Covers certain losses up to $1,000 in relation to forgery and counterfeit money for credit cards and bank fund transfer cards.

Claim Expenses

This includes expenses we may incur defending a lawsuit brought against you for damages covered under the policy.

Fire Department Service Charge

Pays up to $500. Higher limits may be purchased in states where available.

First Aid Expenses

Provides for first aid expenses for people other than an insured for bodily injury covered by the policy.

Outdoor & Weather Coverage

Debris Removal

Covers reasonable expenses incurred to remove covered damaged property following a covered loss.

Trees, Shrubs, and Other Plants

Covers damage caused by fire, lightning, explosion, riot, civil commotion, aircraft, vehicles (not owned or operated by a resident of the residence premises), vandalism, malicious mischief, or theft. Limit for this coverage is 5% of Coverage B Personal Property with a dollar limit for any one outdoor tree, shrub or plant (that are not common property of the condominium association and covered under the master association policy).

Volcanic Action

Covers loss to a covered building and covered property in a building resulting from volcanic blast or airborne shock waves, ash, or lava flow.

Ownership & Rental Coverage

Absentee Ownership Coverage

If you own a home in a condominium/association but rent it to others all or most of the time, special insurance arrangements also can be made.

Contact your agent for a complete review if you are in this situation.

Additional Living Expenses

Covers the actual loss incurred for necessary increased expenses over and above what you normally spend for food, shelter, and related items for the shortest time required to repair or replace the premises, or for your household to settle elsewhere; up to 24 months.

Fair Rental Value

Covers the actual loss sustained for rental income from that portion of your condominium unit that is rented to others or held for rental for the shortest time required to repair or replace the part of the premises rented or held for rental, up to 12 months.


This coverage automatically increases the amount of condominium unitowners insurance coverage on your building property and personal property as inflation changes the cost of replacing your property. The changes are based on the movement of an inflation index and are reflected in the premium on each renewal.

Structural Coverage


May cover property damage resulting from building collapse caused by certain perils.

Damage to the Property of Others

Provides up to $500 payment of certain property damage to property of others accidentally caused by an insured.


Pays to re-key the exterior locks to your home if the lock keys are part of a covered theft loss.

Temporary Repairs

Covers temporary repairs incurred to protect covered property from further damage.

Simple Insights® by State Farm

Take advantage of what we've learned through the years in Simple Insights.

Moving? Don't Forget to Make Insurance Changes Too

Moving? Don't Forget to Make Insurance Changes Too

Find out if you just transfer insurance to the new address or if you need new coverage.

Home Security and Burglar Alarm Systems

Home Security and Burglar Alarm Systems

The types of home alarm systems and how their features improve your home security.

Create a Fire Evacuation Plan Today!

Create a Fire Evacuation Plan Today!

Prepare now so you can act quickly.


Discount, policies, and programs and their availability vary by state and eligibility requirements.

This information contains only a general description of coverages and is not a contract. Details of coverage or limits vary in some states. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions, and conditions in the policy itself and in any endorsements.