State Farm® Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent company of several affiliates and subsidiaries that provide property and life insurance, banking products, and mutual funds. References to “State Farm” on this page refer to the State Farm family of companies as a whole.
Name of Company and Headquarters
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
Address: One State Farm Plaza, Bloomington, Illinois 61710
Michael L. Tipsord, Chairman, President and CEO
Lines of Business
- Property and Casualty insurance
- Life and Health insurance
- Mutual Funds
- Banking products
Agency Type and Marketing Channels
Independent contractor exclusive State Farm agents
State Farm is...
- the #1 Auto Insurer in the U.S. since 1942. 
- the #1 Homeowners Insurer in the U.S. since 1964. 
- the #2 largest Life Insurer based on policies in force in the U.S. since 2016. 
- a leading Small Business Insurer in U.S. Since 2014. 
- the 98th largest Bank in the U.S. as of Q4 2018 based on total assets of $16.9 billion. 
- a leading insurer of watercraft.
- ranked number 36th on the 2019 Fortune 500 list of largest companies, based on revenues.
- State Farm offers about 100 products.
- Nearly 19,000 agents
- Nearly 58,000 employees
- State Farm has 82.9M policies and accounts in force in the U.S. (Financial Reporting & Analysis - U.S. only as of 12/31/2018)
- Auto: 43.7M (includes Small Business)
- Fire: 28.0M (includes Small Business)
- Life: 8M
- Small Business: 2.8M
- State Farm Bank®: 1.9M
- Health: 884K
- Mutual Funds: 423K
- About 60% of State Farm households have more than one product.
- In 2018, Fire and Auto Claims reached more than 13.0 million. This is about 36,000 claims per day. That is more than the Chicago Metro population.
Through its two life insurance affiliates, State Farm Life was the second largest U.S. ordinary individual life insurer based on policies in force according to S&P Global Market Intelligence. State Farm® Life Insurance Company (Not licensed in MA, NY or WI) State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (Licensed in NY and WI) Bloomington, IL 
Sources: MMDG, S&P Global Market Intelligence, American Banker, U.S. Census Bureau, Auto and Fire Retrieval, Fortune Magazine, and State Farm Archive
State Farm Life Insurance Company (Not licensed in MA, NY or WI)
State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (Licensed in NY and WI)
State Farm Bloomington, IL
Each insurer is financially responsible for its own products.
State Farm Bank, F.S.B., Bloomington, Illinois offers deposit and loan products. Other insurance, securities or investment products are offered by affiliate companies.
State Farm Bank ("Bank") is a Member FDIC and Equal Housing Lender. NMLS ID 139716. The other products offered by affiliate companies of State Farm Bank are not FDIC insured, not a State Farm Bank obligation or guaranteed by State Farm Bank, and may be subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal invested. The Bank encourages any interested individual(s) to submit an application for any product(s) offered by the Bank. We also encourage you to obtain information regarding the Bank's underwriting standards for each type or credit or service offered by visiting statefarm.com® or by contacting the Bank at 877-SF4-BANK (877-734-2265). If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or do not use your voice to communicate, you may contact us via 711 or other relay services. To apply for a Bank product, you may also see your participating State Farm agent.