Survivorship universal life insurance — leave a legacy of a lifetime
Survivorship Universal Life Insurance1 covers two people, and pays a benefit only after both have passed away. Since it costs less than two individual permanent policies, it's an affordable option to leave a larger nest egg for your heirs or favorite cause.
|Starting at $250,000
|18 to 90 (18 to 78 in CA)
The Survivorship Universal Life policy can assist in planning for the following needs:
- Funding a special-needs trust — For those needing extended care, life insurance can provide the funds to pay for expenses when caregivers are no longer living. Learn more about a Special Needs Trust
- Charitable Giving — Maybe you have a special place in your heart for a certain charity. With Survivorship Universal Life, you can truly make a difference.
- Business transition planning — Life insurance can help provide the funds needed to orderly transfer ownership of a business. For family-owned businesses, it can help make sure those interested in continuing the business can do so, while providing for non-interested heirs.
- Help preserve your estate — Even if you have dipped into your assets during retirement, the policy will leave death benefit proceeds that generally pass income-tax free to your beneficiaries. They could use the policy proceeds to help offset federal estate taxes, keeping your estate intact.2
- Build tax-deferred cash value — The growth in cash value is federal tax-deferred and it can be accessed for a variety of personal needs.3
- Flexible premiums — Raise or lower premiums, depending on your changing needs or financial situation
- Affordable — Since the policy pays only after two people have passed on, it usually costs less than two whole life or universal life insurance policies
- Tax-free death benefit — No matter how large your death benefit, it passes to your beneficiaries generally income tax-free
Need help choosing a policy? Compare Policies
Customize your policy
You may be able to add even more value to your policy by buying one or more of these optional riders:4
Provides for additional death benefit during the first four years of the policy to assist with specific tax planning situations.
Ages: 18-90 (18 to 78 in CA)
Provides additional coverage on either insured until age 95. This coverage must be applied for and purchased by each respective insured. This rider is convertible until age 75 to any Whole Life plan that is available when conversion occurs.
Coverage: $100,000 minimum
Helps preserve your policy at a time when income may be limited due to a death or disability. This benefit will be on one of the two insureds specified on the application. When the specified insured becomes totally disabled for 6 continuous months as defined in the policy, prior to age 60, this coverage will waive all future monthly deductions as long as the insured continues to be disabled. If the specified insured becomes disabled between ages 60 up to age 65, this coverage will waive monthly deductions to the later of the third policy anniversary after total disability or the anniversary when Insured 1 is age 65. If the specified insured dies prior to age 65, or while monthly deductions are being waived for disability, all future monthly deductions will be waived.
Ages: 18–59 (for the specified insured)
Find an agent
1 Survivorship Universal Life is the marketing name for Flexible Premium Joint and Last to Die Survivorship Adjustable Life Insurance.
2 Neither State Farm® nor its agents provide tax or legal advice.
3 No more than four withdrawals can be made in any policy year. Withdrawals and unpaid loans will reduce the death benefit and policy cash value. Loans also accrue interest which further reduces the death benefit and cash value. Loans and withdrawals can have tax consequences.
4 Insurance policies and/or associated riders or features may not be available in all states, and policy terms and conditions vary by state.
This is a general description of coverage. A complete statement of coverage is found only in the policy.
For more details on coverage, costs, restrictions, and renewability, or to apply for coverage, contact your local State Farm agent.
There are limitations and conditions regarding payment of benefits due to misrepresentations on the application or when death is the result of suicide in the first two policy years.
With Survivor Universal Life it is possible that coverage will expire when either no premiums are paid following the initial premium or subsequent premiums are insufficient to continue coverage.
Securities are not FDIC insured, are not bank guaranteed and are subject to investment risk, including possible loss of principal.
State Farm Life Insurance Company (Not licensed in MA, NY, or WI)
State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (Licensed in NY and WI)
Home Office, Bloomington, Illinois
Each insurer is financially responsible for its own products.