A condo maintenance checklist for any season
Keep up with the weather and welcome each season with smart condo upkeep.
What is a good way to enjoy your condo year round? Stay on top of condo upkeep before each season is in full swing. A well-maintained condo can help you stay ahead of any problems that can quickly go from small to-do's to big issues — and may affect the value of your investment.
Know what you will be responsible for maintaining and what will be taken care of by your condo association. A good start is to understand the covenants, conditions and restrictions (CCR’s) for your condo association. These bylaws will outline what repairs fall under the condo owner responsibilities and what common areas the condo association will be responsible for. Check out the condo maintenance tips below for some ideas.
- Clean out storage. If you have a garage or exterior storage unit, clean out and store any seasonal gear. Consider donating unused items.
- Check the windows. Clean windows and screens and replace any damaged seals or weather stripping.
- Clean up any debris. This includes landscaping and any outdoor areas that fall under your responsibility.
- Replace bulbs in fixtures. Consider using energy efficient light bulbs to help save you money over the year.
- Schedule service checks. This could be for your furnace, air conditioner, water heater, sump pump, etc.
- Check and test your safety systems. Change out batteries in smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors, and examine your fire extinguishers.
- Review and update your policies (if needed). Check with your State Farm® agent about coverage, particularly for any storage units on your condo property.
Check out more helpful tips for your condo living.