State Farm® understands moving to a new community isn't always easy, and we’re here to help with moving tips from State Farm Agent Jose Martinez. Jose immigrated to Brentwood, California from Mexico 50 years ago, so he knows a thing or two about making a new community feel like home — like how to find new opportunities.
We introduced Jose to new Brentwood resident Gabriel, so Jose could share his story, and his wisdom, with a new neighbor.
I moved. Now what?
Whether you’ve moved because of a job, your family, or just to get a fresh start, you’re already following new opportunities. But why get comfortable and stop there? Becoming a part of a new community gives you the chance to grow, expand your horizons, and follow a path you may not have even known you’d love.
So get out there and succeed in your community with these moving tips:
- Meet new people. Like the saying goes, it’s all about who you know. Take some time to meet your neighbors, and people beyond your neighborhood too. The more diverse the backgrounds, the better.
- Try new things. Join a local running group if you don’t run, start mountain biking if you don’t bike, join a book club if you’re not a big reader. You could discover new passions you never knew you had.
- Look for ways to give back. Finding a cause that matters to you and giving your time or skills to make a difference can be a life-changing experience. Find ways to give back in your new community at Neighborhood of Good®.
- Put yourself in new surroundings. If you’ve gotten comfortable with one coffee shop, try another. If you’re a homebody, try to visit a new park, business or attraction in your community at least once a week. Open new doors, and life could surprise you.
- Keep an eye on job opportunities. Even if you’ve moved for a new job, other career opportunities could be an even better fit as you learn more about yourself and your goals as time goes on.
As you get settled in your new community, always keep your eyes and ears open for new experiences and opportunities.