Americans bought more than 17 million new cars and trucks in 2016. If a new set of wheels is in your future, keep these things in mind throughout the process to find a vehicle that meets your needs.
Before you buy
- Make a list of needs and wants.
- Set a budget. Most experts recommend a ceiling of 25 percent of your monthly income for all cars in your household.
- Choose between new or used, buying or leasing.
- Research prices and reviews.
- Get pre-approved for a loan.
- Trade-in? Use online tools to help determine its worth.
When you shop
- Visit several dealerships.
- Test-drive, paying attention to handling and sight lines.
- Ask about financing and incentives.
- Negotiate the price before mentioning your trade-in.
- Don't be afraid to walk away.
Closing the deal
- Bring pre-approval documentation and necessary paperwork.
- Carefully review the purchase contract.
If you're preparing to buy a car, call your State Farm agent to discuss auto policy changes.
State Farm™ (including State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates) is not responsible for, and does not endorse or approve, either implicitly or explicitly, the content of any third party sites hyperlinked from this page. State Farm has no discretion to alter, update, or control the content on the hyperlinked, third party site. Access to third party sites is at the user's own risk, is being provided for informational purposes only and is not a solicitation to buy or sell any of the products which may be referenced on such third party sites.