Things to do before going to college
College is a big step in a young adult's life. Help prepare your student for the transition from with the following tips.
- Set a budget. List income sources and separate essentials from the nice-to-haves. A banking app can help track spending.
- Check for local branches of your bank, or open an account at a bank near campus.
- Make sure vaccinations are up to date.
- Send copies of any relevant medical details with your student.
- Learn where college health services are and what's available to students.
- Check that your car insurance covers your student. Set a maintenance schedule and locate a close-by mechanic for repairs.
- Verify the family health insurance policy extends to college kids.
- If your student lives on campus, they are probably covered by your homeowners/renters policy. But if they live off-campus, renters insurance is recommended. Talk to your State Farm® agent today!