Skip to Main Content

Start Of Main Content

How to pay for college tuition

College can be a major expense. Here are some strategies to use shortly after a child’s birth all the way through college.

At Younger Ages

If possible, a college savings program should be started when a child is young:

  • Personal Savings: Funds put aside by parents or grandparents in taxable investment and savings accounts.
  • Tax advantaged approaches: IRC Sec. 529 plansfootnote [1], Coverdell Savings Accounts, or U.S. Savings Bonds.

The High School Years

As college draws closer, continue any savings programs begun in the past:

  • Scholarships and grants: Many college scholarships or grants are awarded to students while they are still in high school.

During College

If savings are inadequate, other resources will be needed. Consider the following:

  • Student aid: Frequently a “package” which may include grants, loans, scholarships, or work-study programs, with much of the funding coming from the federal government. Individual states, private individuals, and many colleges and universities are also a source of scholarships and grants.
  • Military programs: The U.S. military has a number of programs to enable prospective, active duty, and former service personnel to attend college.
  • Tax benefits: Federal income tax law encourages higher education in a variety of ways, including education tax credits and a deduction for student loan interest.footnote [2]
  • Other approaches: The cost of education can be reduced by living at home or choosing a lower-cost state or community college. A home-equity loan or a loan from an employer-sponsored qualified retirement plan may provide additional funds.

After Graduation

For some students, paying for college extends beyond the college years:

  • Perform any required service: Some programs require the student to perform a period of service or work after graduation, in return for help in funding college.
  • Repay student loans: Any outstanding loans should be repaid as quickly as possible.

return to reference[1] Federal income tax law does not allow deductions for contributions to “529” plans, although growth inside a plan is tax-deferred and qualified distributions are tax-exempt. State or local tax law, however, can vary widely. 529 plans involve investment risks, including possible loss of funds, and there is no guarantee a college-funding goal will be met. The fees, expenses, and features of 529 plans vary from state to state.

return to reference[2] These comments concern federal income tax law; state or local income tax law may vary widely.

These materials were reproduced with the permission of Advisys, Inc. No State Farm® entity prepared these materials nor does State Farm represent or warranty the opinions or statements expressed therein. These materials are being provided for information purposes only.

Select a product to start a quote.


Also Important

Here are some additional articles that may also be important to you.  So you should check them out.

7 Ways to Save More for College

7 Ways to Save More for College

Try these tips for knocking down everyday expenses and socking it away safely.

Give the Gift of an Education

Give the Gift of an Education

How should you save for your child's college education? Consider these plans.

Related Articles

Here are some additional articles that may interest you.

Get Your Young Kids Saving for College

Get Your Young Kids Saving for College

Teach your kids good financial habits.

Next Use for Your Child Care Money: College Investing

Next Use for Your Child Care Money: College Investing

When the kids no longer need child care services, dedicate that money to college funding.

Are You Saving Enough for College? Find Out with This Calculator

Are You Saving Enough for College? Find Out with This Calculator

Review various inflation rates to see how much you can save.