At State Farm®, we care about being good neighbors. Here are ways you can show kindness and extend a hand in restoring your own community.
- Participate in cleanup days. Whether you're picking up litter or helping paint your neighbor's home, you can show you care about improving your neighborhood.
- Shovel more snow. When you're shoveling your driveway and sidewalks, also shovel the snow around the nearest fire hydrant so that it's visible for firefighters.
- Start a community garden. In addition to creating a local resource for fresh, healthy foods, you'll get to know new people.
- Connect with neighbors. Start a blog or an online group to share ideas, recommendations and other news with homeowners in your area.
- Shop small. Shopping at local merchants puts money into your local economy and schools. It also supports small business owners and their role in your community.
- Support local causes. Don't miss the nearby ice cream social or chili dinner, and stop at the next car wash fundraiser. It's a simple way to show you care about what everyone in your community is up to.
- Visit the schools. Meet your children's teachers and area parents, or volunteer to help in a classroom or with students one-on-one.
- Speak up. Take an active role in bettering your neighborhood by speaking to the city council or community groups about what progress and programs you'd like to see. Encourage your neighbors to join you.
- Say "thanks" to local leaders. Head to your local donut or coffee shop and pre-pay to have treats delivered to your nearest police or fire station. A bit of goodwill can go a long way for those working in public service. And, since it’s coming from a store – they’ll know the treats are safe to consume. You can also donate to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.
- Acts of Good. At State Farm, we believe doing good is contagious, there are Good Neighbors all around, even though it’s sometimes hard to see. People who, each and every day, make the world a better place, one Act of Good at a time. That’s why we started 100 for Good™. Big or small, every Act of Good makes a difference.
And you can always repay your community by tapping into the power of giving by donating to your local food pantry and make a difference to families in need.