Ideas to celebrate Earth day and Arbor Day
Love-your-planet activities for everyone in your family.
Ideas to celebrate Earth Day and Arbor Day
National Arbor Day and Earth Day are celebrated in April — and April is National Volunteer Month. Luckily, you don’t have to choose just one day or even one month to make a difference in the world around you. Here are ways to celebrate and be kinder to the planet.
IN YOUR COMMUNITY
Help beautify a place that’s important to your family.
- Take a trash challenge: Vow to pick up 5 pieces of trash on an outing.
- Visit a place you love, such as the library, and pick up litter (outside or inside).
- Focus on your very own sidewalk, curb and street for trash cleanup. There’s an estimated 6,700 pieces of trash per mile!
Find more ideas and local events at NeighborhoodofGood.com®
IN YOUR YARD
- Put up a bird feeder or birdhouse
- Pick a kid-friendly activity, such as picking up fallen sticks, to beautify your home.
- Plant something green, such as a tree, native grasses or butterfly-friendly flowers.
- Set up a compost bin. In the U.S., approximately 3,000 pounds of food go to waste every second.
IN YOUR HOME
Increase energy efficiency.
- Fix air and water leaks. On average, households can leak 10,000 gallons annually.
- Install long-lasting, energy-saving LED light bulbs.
- Unplug appliances not in use.
Switch to earth-friendly cleaning products.
- Research reputable brands or make your own products.
Recycle challenging items.
- Light bulbs.
- Batteries and electronics
- Paint and chemicals
- Unused and outdated medications
Visit Call2Recycle.org to find a drop-off location near you.
COMMIT TO ONE CHANGE
Little fixes make a difference.
- Buy a reusable water bottle or coffee cup. Americans throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour.
- Stash reusable grocery bags where you’ll remember them. It takes at least 500 years for the plastic version to degrade in a landfill.
- Sign up for e-billing on all accounts
- Commit to biking and carpooling once a week.
Enjoying nature is a great way to show your appreciation for the planet.
- Visit a park or arboretum.
- Stroll on a beach.
- Bike on a trail.
- Take a hike.