By 2030, 1 in 5 U.S. residents will be over 65, and the majority of older adults would prefer to stay in their homes as long as possible (United States Census Bureau).
As the population ages, the needs of older adults adapt and change. Technology and innovation will lead the way. Pew Research has shown a significant increase in tech adoption among the aging population. For older adults, voice assistants have the highest rate of adoption (AARP).
Age in place with the assistance of Sundial™
Sundial Labs, LLC was formed to develop options that help seniors age on their own terms and continue enjoying their life as they navigate some of the challenges of aging in place.
“Aging in place” is a phrase used to describe seniors who want to live independently in their home as they get older. This is a common desire for seniors and sometimes a concern for their families and friends. Sundial Labs has developed a technology solution for seniors and loved ones to stay connected, from anywhere. So, what is Sundial? This is Sundial.
Easy to use for everyone
Sundial was created to be easy for seniors to use at home and convenient for a Care Circle of family and friends to take anywhere they go. Seniors interact with Sundial and their Care Circle with their voice and the large touchscreen of the Alexa-enabled Amazon Echo Show 5.
The Care Circle of family, friends, neighbors and other loved ones use the simple mobile app (for iOS and Android) to coordinate with the senior and each other. So they always know they’re connected, no matter when or where.
These Sundial features make it easy to stay connected:
- Check In – Share a message with the full Care Circle, from the app or the Echo Show. With group messaging all in one place, it’s simple to keep everyone in the loop.
- Shared Lists – Bring your lists together in one convenient place, with interactive Shopping, Wellness and To-Do lists.
- Shared Calendar – Coordinate events, plan get-togethers and share appointment reminders. Now everyone can be on the same page, every day.
- Memories – Stay close with shared photos, from a fond memory to a quick selfie. Now your whole Care Circle can feel like they’re part of every special moment.
To learn more
At Sundial-labs.com, you can find:
- Videos about Sundial features
- Information about how Sundial works
- Setup instructions for the mobile app and the Echo Show
- Quick start guide for Alexa voice commands
- Printable brochure
- A link to the Facebook Sundial Discussion Group
- Contact information for additional support
Sundial Labs, LLC™ is a separate company in the State Farm® family of companies. In August 2019, Labs @ State Farm began working on a new vision that could allow older adults to stay connected in their homes while providing their care circle of family and friends an easy way to interact and communicate virtually. The Sundial skill for Alexa and the Sundial mobile app - called Sundial - launched in June 2020.