Mobile help and quick tips for after an auto accident
Mobile apps allow you to alert your agent and your insurance company within moments of having a crash.
Although no two auto accidents are alike, there are preparation and post-accident steps that every driver should take — like downloading your insurance company's mobile app. Apps like the State Farm® mobile app allow you to notify your insurance company after a crash to start the claims process. Be prepared by taking the following steps.
Steps to take before an auto accident
First, remember ABP: Always Be Prepared.
- Check to see if your insurance company has a mobile app.
- Download the mobile app and register your account. The State Farm mobile app also enables you to have an accessible digital copy of your insurance card as well as agent contact information.
- Place a copy of your insurance card and registration in your vehicle.
- Know how to use your mobile phone's camera or keep a disposable camera handy to document any post-accident damage.
Steps to take if you have an auto accident
First, ask yourself: Is anyone hurt? If so, immediately contact emergency services for help.
Second, always call the police, no matter the severity of the accident. If the accident is minor, you may be asked to file a police report on your own, which you should do. Even if an accident happens on private property, contact the police to report the incident. Depending on the severity of the accident the police may or may not come out to make a report. It's always in your best interest to contact the police.
Get out of the way, if you can
- If the vehicles are drivable, move them to a safe spot on the shoulder or otherwise out of the way of traffic.
- Turn on your hazard lights and set up emergency cones, if you have them.
- Get out of the vehicle, unless it is unsafe to do so.
- Use the mobile app to contact Roadside Assistance for towing help Roadside service from State Farm is available 24 hours a day.
Record all the details
- Use the mobile app to alert your insurance company you've been in an accident.
- Open the mobile app to share information, such as contact details and insurance details, with anyone else involved in the accident.
- Ask other drivers to share their details, too. That information will be needed once fault and financial responsibility are established. Make sure to record if they are the car owners.
- Using the mobile app, take notes about what you remember of the accident, and upload photos, too. (You'll find photo reminders of what to take and how many images are needed in the app.)
- Ask for and keep a copy of the police report.
What happens after you report an accident
The mobile app will allow you to alert your insurance company and/or agent that you've been in an accident and help you to begin the claims process. Coverage levels and determination of fault will help outline who is financially responsible for repairs and other costs, including medical bills. The mobile app by State Farm allows you to track the status of your claim with the claims center.
What you should never do
- Don't try to assign blame.
- Don't sign anything from anyone other than the police.
- Don't leave the scene.
Contact a State Farm agent today to learn more