Backyard structures and home insurance
Is your shed, detached garage or swimming pool covered under your policy?
If you have a freestanding garage, shed, pool or other structure on your home's property, it may be protected under your homeowner's insurance policy.
Sheds and outdoor buildings
The coverage amount varies from policy to policy; check your policy for the specific coverage related to these items. For more visit the Insurance Information Institute.
Remember to notify your agent or carrier of the existence of these items and keep the rebuilding cost of these structures in mind when purchasing your home insurance policy.
The items inside a shed, garage or backyard building may also be covered by your homeowners policy, but you might consider a Personal Articles Policy for some types of machinery or sports equipment (limitations apply). This type of policy protects items beyond the limitations and deductibles of a homeowner's insurance policy. You should review your personal property coverage with your agent or carrier to verify you have the correct coverage for your personal property.
Get a homeowners insurance quote
Want to protect your home?
Whether you already have a swimming pool or are thinking about getting one, review liability coverage options with your insurance agent or carrier. Most home insurance policies include some liability protection, but you may want more if you have a swimming pool. The Insurance Information Institute recommends increasing your amount of liability protection or purchasing an umbrella liability policy.
You can also take additional safety measures to help prevent accidents and reduce the potential liability exposure:
- Add a high fence with a self-closing, locked gate to keep guests from entering without your knowledge, to help prevent accidents and reduce potential liability exposure. Enforce safe pool rules, such as not diving into shallow water and walking, not running, around the edge of the pool.
- Provide non-slip surfaces around your pool to prevent falls.
- Maintain adult supervision of children in the pool at all times.
- Keep necessary first aid equipment near the pool.
- Contact your local municipality to determine if your pool and surrounding fence meets requirements for size, depth and other safety features.