Start Of Main Content

Learn more about investment accounts from State Farm®

You have unique financial goals, and we know that. We offer a number of options to help you reach your goals.

Personal Retirement

Trying to save for retirement? We've got you covered with Roth and Traditional IRAs. If you're looking for help with a 401(k) or 403(b) account rollover from a former employer, we can help with that, too!

Education Savings

Saving for a child's education can be really intimidating, but we have options to help you, including 529 savings plans and custodial accounts such as Uniform Gifts/Transfer to Minor's Act UGMA/UTMA.

Custodial Accounts

If you're looking for a simple, affordable option for setting aside money for a child, consider a custodial account. As the account owner, you can manage funds for any child typically under the age of 18 or 21 (depending on state law). The child gains control of the account upon reaching that age. In many cases, establishing a custodial account is easier and less expensive than setting up a trust, and it can be a great option for funding a child's education.

The most common type of custodial account is the Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA) account. A few states also allow Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) accounts.

  • Anyone (parents, grandparents, and others) can contribute to these accounts.
  • UTMA and UGMA accounts offer flexibility in how you invest and spend funds on a child before he or she reaches the age of majority and may allow you to take advantage of the child's potentially lower tax rate.
  • All funds held in an UTMA or UGMA account are irrevocably the property of the designated child and must be managed and applied for the sole benefit of that child.
  • An UTMA or UGMA account cannot be transferred to another child at any time.

General Investing

Want to buy a new house or a new car? Maybe you want to take a trip around the world? Whatever your investment goal, we're here to help.

Individual Accounts

An Individual Account is owned by one person. The owner has sole authority to make purchases, redemptions, address changes, and any other changes to the account. In the event the owner dies, the account generally becomes part of the owner's estate, unless a beneficiary has been named. An account owner must be at least 18 years old and be a US resident or resident alien.

Joint Accounts

A joint account is owned by two or more people as "joint tenants with rights of survivorship". The owners act together in making changes to the account. In the event one owner dies, the account passes to the surviving owner(s).

If requested, a joint account can be registered as "tenants in common". This allows an owner's percentage to be distributed (transferred) to the estate upon death. A pro rata share of ownership is assumed unless otherwise indicated.

Business Retirement Plans

Whether you're looking for a retirement plan for you and your employees or looking at general investments for your organization, we have what you need.

Learn more about business retirement plans

Related links
Get your retirement to a better state

Risk Disclosures

Before investing, consider the funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. This and other important information is contained in the fund prospectuses and summary prospectuses which can be obtained by visiting Read it carefully. Securities Distributed by State Farm VP Management Corp.

Investing involves risk, including potential for loss.

An investor should consider the Plan's investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. The Program Disclosure Statement at® which contains more information, should be read carefully before investing.

Investors should consider before investing whether their or their beneficiary's home state offers any state tax or other state benefits such as financial aid, scholarship funds, and protection from creditors that are only available for investments in such state's qualified tuition program and should consult their tax advisor, attorney and/or other advisor regarding their specific legal, investment or tax situation.

Prior to rolling over assets from an employer-sponsored retirement plan into an IRA, it's important that customers understand their options and do a full comparison on the differences in the guarantees and protections offered by each respective type of account as well as the differences in liquidity/loans, types of investments, fees, and any potential penalties.

Not FDIC Insured* | No Bank Guarantee | May Lose Value
(*Except the Bank Savings Investment Option)

Neither State Farm nor its agents provide tax or legal advice.

Participation in the Plan does not guarantee that contributions and the investment return on contributions, if any, will be adequate to cover future tuition and other higher education expenses, or that a beneficiary will be admitted to or permitted to continue to attend an eligible educational institution.

This material is provided for general and educational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal, tax or investment advice, or for use to avoid penalties that may be imposed under U.S. federal tax laws. This material is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any securities. Any offer to sell units within the Plan may only be made by the Program Disclosure Statement and Participation Agreement relating to the Plan.

Nebraska Educational Savings Plan Trust Issuer

Nebraska State Treasurer Trustee

Nebraska Investment Council Investment Oversight

Union Bank and Trust Program Manager

State Farm VP Management Corp. Selling Dealer

Northern Trust Securities Distributor, Member FINRA, SIPC


Nebraska State Treasurer logo

Account owners do not own shares of the underlying investments, or, in the case of the Bank Savings Investment Option, directly hold a savings account, but rather own an interest in the Individual Investment Options offered by the State Farm 529 Savings Plan.

If assets are not used for qualified expenses, the earnings portion of the withdrawal is subject to federal income tax and an additional 10% federal tax and may be subject to state and local taxes. Qualified higher education expenses include tuition, fees, textbooks, supplies and equipment (including computers) required for enrollment or attendance and certain room and board expenses for the academic term during which the student is enrolled at least half time at an eligible educational institution. Expenses for special-needs students that are necessary in connection with their enrollment or attendance may also be eligible.

If the account owner dies before the end of the five-year period, a prorated portion of the contribution will be included in his or her taxable estate. If you contribute less than the $80,000 maximum, additional contribution can be made without incurring federal gift taxes, up to a prorated level of $16,000 per year. Federal gift taxation may result if a contribution exceeds the available annual gift tax exclusion amount remaining for a beneficiary in the year of the contribution.

No additional contributions can be made for any beneficiary when the fair market value of all accounts maintained for that beneficiary within all plans offered by the State of Nebraska reaches $500,000. Assets can grow beyond $500,000.

A “member of the family” includes an individual who is a son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter or a descendant of any such person; a brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister; the father or mother, or an ancestor of either; a stepfather or stepmother; a son or daughter of a brother or sister; a brother or sister of the mother; a son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law; the spouse of the beneficiary or the spouse of any individual described above; or a first cousin of the beneficiary. For purposes of determining who is a “member of the family,” a legally adopted child or a foster child of an individual is treated as the child of that individual by blood. The terms “brother” and “sister” include half-brothers and half-sisters.

An eligible educational institution includes accredited post-secondary educational institutions or vocational schools in the United States and some abroad offering credit toward a bachelor’s degree, an associate’s degree, a graduate level or professional degree, or another recognized post-secondary credential. See

Non-Us residents disclosure:

Each of the investment products and services referred to on the State Farm Mutual Funds web site is intended to be made available to customers or prospective customers residing in the United States. The customer's U.S. permanent residence address must be a street address. This web site shall not be considered a solicitation or offering for any investment product or service to any person in any jurisdiction where such solicitation or offer would be unlawful.

Business Continuity Plan Disclosure for State Farm VP Management Corp.

State Farm VP Management Corp. has developed a Business Continuity Plan on how we will respond to events that significantly disrupt our business. Since the timing and impact of disasters and disruptions is unpredictable, we will have to be flexible in responding to actual events as they occur. With that in mind, we are providing you with this information on our business continuity plan.

Contacting Us – After a significant business disruption, if you cannot contact us as you usually do at 1-800-321-7520, you should contact your registered State Farm agent or go to our web site at®.

Our Business Continuity Plan – We plan to quickly recover and resume business operations as soon as possible after a significant business disruption and respond by safeguarding our employees and property, making a financial and operational assessment, protecting the firm’s books and records, and allowing our customers to transact business. In short, our business continuity plan is designed to permit our firm to resume operations as quickly as possible, given the scope and severity of the significant business disruption.

Our business continuity plan addresses: data back-up and recovery; all mission critical systems; financial and operational assessments; alternative communications with customers, employees, and regulators; alternate physical location of employees; critical supplier, contractor, bank and counter-party impact; regulatory reporting; and procedures to help ensure that our customers have prompt access to their funds and securities if we are unable to continue our business.

Our business continuity plan may be revised or amended. If changes are made, an updated summary will be promptly posted on our website ( or you may obtain an updated summary by calling us at the number below and requesting that a written copy be mailed to you.

Varying Disruptions – Significant business disruptions can vary in their scope, such as only our firm, a single building housing our firm, the business district where our firm is located, the city where we are located, or the whole region. Within each of these areas, the severity of the disruption can also vary from minimal to severe. In a disruption to only our firm or a building housing our firm, we may transfer our operations to a local site when needed and expect to recover and resume business within 1 business day. In a disruption affecting our business district, city, or region, we will transfer our operations to a site outside of the affected area, and expect to recover and resume business within 3 business days. In either situation, we plan to continue in business, transfer operations if necessary, and notify you through our web site, or our customer number how to contact us. In the unlikely event that the significant business disruption is so severe that it prevents us from remaining in business, our plan provides procedures to help ensure that our customers have prompt access to their funds and securities.

In all of the situations described above, in light of the various types of disruptions that could take place and that every emergency poses unique problems, it may take longer to resume operations during any particular disruption. If you have questions about our business continuity planning, you can contact us at 1-800-321-7520.

Important Information about Procedures for Opening a New Account

To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an Account.

What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.