Have home or property insurance questions? We've got answers.
Here you'll find answers to general Home and Property Insurance questions.
Unless the cause of loss is excluded in the policy, a homeowners policy provides coverage for personal liability, medical payments to others, and accidental direct physical loss to your dwelling.
In addition, the policy provides coverage for your personal property for specific perils including, but not limited to:
Yes. In addition to your dwelling, State Farm® covers other detached structures located on your property that are separated by clear space from the dwelling. The basic policy covers other structures at 10% of your dwelling coverage.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Detached garages
- Equipment sheds
- Guest cottages
Contact your agent about insuring other structures on your property.
The insurance coverage amount is your choice. We recommend that you purchase coverage equal to or greater than the estimated replacement cost of your home. Your home's estimated replacement cost also determines which policy options are available to you.
Since it's impossible to predict the cost to replace your home in the future, it's important to have enough coverage to account for unforeseen circumstances.
Market value is the amount a buyer would pay for the home and land in its current condition. It is influenced by factors such as proximity to good schools, local crime statistics, and the availability of similar homes.
Replacement cost is the cost to replace the entire home. When you insure your home for its estimated replacement value, your insurer will reimburse you for the cost of rebuilding your home, subject to policy limitations, based on the size and structure of the home that was lost.
Replacement cost is not:
- The market value of the home
- The home's purchase price
- The cost of the land
- The outstanding amount of any mortgage
In most cases you can purchase a policy online at the end of the quote process. You can also retrieve and purchase a policy up to 30 days after you receive a quote.
When purchasing online you have the opportunity to verify the information you provided during the quote process.
Note: Premiums are based on the information provided which must comply with State Farm rules and may be revised.
State Farm helps you save on homeowners insurance by offering the following discounts. Contact your agent for additional discount information.
- Claim Free Discount - You may qualify for homeowners discounts when you have a claim free history for a specific time period.
- Home Auto Discount - You may be eligible for a discount if you have a qualifying auto policy with State Farm.
- Home Alert Discount - You may qualify for homeowners discounts for using fire and burglar alarms.
- Utilities Rating Plans - You may qualify for homeowners discounts by updating your home utilities with a qualified contractor.
- Impact Resistant Roof - You may qualify for homeowners discounts by using certain impact-resistant roofing products.
- Automatic Sprinkler Discount - You may qualify for homeowners discounts if your home has indoor automatic fire sprinklers.
Note: Insurance, coverage, and discounts are subject to terms and conditions, which vary by state and coverage.
Providing your Social Security number (SSN) is optional. However, providing a SSN is the most accurate way to help us identify consumer reporting information related to our applicants.