Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage
If your car is in the repair shop because of damage that's covered by your comprehensive or collision insurance, car rental reimbursement will help pay the cost to rent a car you can use to get to work, to school, or for other day-to-day activities. If you rent from a company in our network, we'll pay them directly. If not, you'll need to pay the rental fees to start with, but we'll reimburse you.
Travel expenses coverage pays for meals, lodging and transportation if your vehicle is disabled in an incident covered by your comprehensive or collision insurance more than 50 miles from your home.
Get an Auto Quote
How It Works
- Car Rental Expense – pays up to the amount you specify in your policy, when you or a relative who lives with you rents a car while your car isn't drivable because of damage that would be payable under your comprehensive or collision coverage.
- Travel Expenses – pays for meals, lodging, and transportation home or to your destination – up to $500 for all covered individuals – if your car isn't drivable because of damage done more than 50 miles from home that's covered by your comprehensive or collision insurance. A return trip to pick up your car is also covered.
- Rental Car – Repayment of Deductible Expense – pays up to $500 for the deductible if you have an accident in a rental car.
What Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage Doesn't Cover
- If your vehicle is disabled in an incident that isn't covered by either your comprehensive or collision insurance.
- Rental car and travel expenses that go above your policy's limits.
Should you get Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage?
Consider how you'd get to work, school, or the store if your car were out of commission. If you depend on having a vehicle, can you afford to pay for a rental if it's in the shop for a few days or weeks after an accident?
If you've got Comprehensive or Collision Coverage, then your vehicle is probably worth repairing if it's in an accident. Adding car rental and travel expense coverage probably makes sense for you since it'll help you stay mobile if you won't have your own car for a few days.
Simple Insights™ by State Farm™
Take advantage of what we've learned through the years in Simple Insights™. Here, you can discover advice on insurance, maintenance and repair, buying and selling, safety, and more.
Renting a Car is About More Than Just Price
Ever Lend Your Car to a Friend? Read This First
Demystifying Car Insurance Policies, Types, and Terms
Find an Agent
Please remember that the preceding descriptions contain only a general description of available coverages and are not a statement of contract. All coverages are subject to all policy provisions and applicable endorsements. Coverage options may vary by state. To learn more about auto insurance coverage in your state, find a State Farm agent.
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
State Farm Indemnity Company
State Farm County Mutual Insurance Company of Texas