Illinois domestic violence confidentiality
Description of applicable insurance law
Illinois Insurance Law 215 ILCS 5/355b, requires any company that issues, delivers, amends, or renews an individual or group policy of accident and health insurance to accommodate a reasonable request by a person covered by a policy issued by the company to receive communications of claim-related information from the company by alternative means or at alternative locations if the person clearly states that disclosure of all or part of the information could endanger the person. Or, a valid order of protection may be submitted along with an alternative address, telephone number or other contact information. If a child is a covered person, then the right established by this section may be asserted by the child's parent or guardian.
State Farm® Insurance affiliates will accommodate a request made by a person covered by insurance to receive communications of claim-related information from State Farm at an alternative address or by an alternative means if such person clearly states that the disclosure of information could endanger himself or herself. If the covered person is a child, then the child's parent or legal guardian may make the request to State Farm. Except with the express consent of the person making the request, State Farm will not disclose to the policyholder or other person the:
- address, telephone number, or any other personally identifying information of the covered person and any child residing with the covered person;
- nature of the health care services provided to the covered person; or
- name or address of the provider of the covered services to the covered person.
To initiate or revoke a request
To initiate a request, as described above, please send us a letter including the following information:
- name, current address, date of birth, and policy number
- a statement that disclosure of all or part of the claim-related information to which the request pertains could endanger the insured or child; and
- specify an alternative address, telephone number or other method of contact
- signature and date
Send your written request to:
State Farm Attention: Enterprise Compliance & Ethics - Office of Privacy, C-2
PO Box 2322
Bloomington, IL 61704-2322
To revoke your request, send a written request to the above address.
For additional information contact:
Illinois Domestic Violence Help Line: 1-877-863-63381-877-863-6338
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-72331-800-799-7233/ TTY 1-800-787-32241-800-787-3224
Last Reviewed 06/2020
Last Updated 10/15/2018